Re: Lax south runways can they handle a 747? (ATL/ORD and YVR's funny runways.)

It's definitely not a perfect geographic 'split'. I too have done
DCA/IAD to ATL and the approaches are to and from the south runways. But
almost all DCA traffic would approach the same set of runways during the
same time period.

ATL is blessed with equal long runways, ORD's arangements dictate that
long-range heavies can only use a few of the runways, creating joy for
the controllers.

YVR's north runway (8L) has a 10pm curfew which I've been caught in
several times.

UA's ORD-YVR flight is sometimes early and Vancouver Centre indicates an
8L approach. A recent arrival:

Tower: UA1035, We've got a 10pm curfew, so, make your visual approach to
8L, but lean to the right, we might need to do 8R.
UA1035: 8L, but possible 8R. 10pm curfew?
Tower:  Noise abatement, and they take it very seriously.
Tower: UA1035, you're cleared 5,000 feet but my computer indicates
wheels down at 9:59:42. I doubt you'll clear it 18 sceonds. 8R it is.
UA1035: 8R, Visual Approach.
Tower: Cleared to land... Sorry about 8L.

Pain in the butt, 8R to the USA gates is a LONG way.

I've also had this exchange on departure out of YVR and the stupid 8L
runway.
UA1035: Ground, request push back and request departure on 8L
Tower: Push back approved, but you'll be a few years waiting for 8L.
UA1035: Years?
Tower: They don't let us use it for departures.

I've actually taken off at 2:30am on 8L in the middle of a blizzard in
an AC340-300, but I do recall that everyone seemed to deem it as a
special circumstance: They were using the one or two snow plows that YVR
has on the south runway.