Re: Lax south runways can they handle a 747?

All airports with multiple simultaneous active runways do the same
thing.

ATL's parallel runways make it easy to picture. Anything to/from the
north'ish uses the northern pair and visa-versa for the south. The paths
never cross.

ORD's plan is decidedly more complex. I've done a ORD-YVR departing off
of 4L with a heading of 090 due to winds. We reached 15,000 ft about 10
minutes still going straight east. Overhead on channel 9 was even the
pilot reminding ATC that we were heading to *Vancouver*.

YYZ's archaic runway layout will make it feel like you are driving half
way to your destination if you are flying AC and departures are to the
east-north-east.

Amazingly these taxi-times based on active runway selections are built
into the scheduled times that you'll find on a Flight Status website.

Matthew