Re: Security fee

Another absurdity.  Whatever happened to the large surplus from the many
other aviation taxes?  The airline industry is right up there with the
telephone industry in the amount of taxes being charged.  If you don't
believe be, go to Southwest's page (www.southwester.com) and make a
reservations (you don't have to complete the transaction, though).  When you
get to the total fare page, look at how much of the fare is actually taxes.
(For the telephone company, look at your last bill.  In my case, the bill
was about $20 - the actuall telephone company charges was only about $15!)

The charge mentioned below is, according to another article, is charged once
for your originating flight and for each connecting flight.  Never mind that
you probably don't go through security again when making a connection.

David Ross
http://damiross.go.cc
http://home.earthlink.net/~damiross/airlines.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~damiross/books.html

> DOT To Begin Charging Security Tax To Cover Costs
>
> The U.S. federal government next month plans to begin charging a $2.50 fee
> to all air travelers to cover the government's aviation security costs.
The
> new security fee was authorized in the Aviation and Transportation
Security
> Act, which was signed into law on Nov. 19. DOT on Monday issued an interim
> final rule that imposes the fee, beginning Feb. 1. Under the rule, direct
> air carriers, both domestic and foreign, will be responsible for
collecting
> the tax for passenger enplanements from U.S. airports. The airlines would
> send the money to DOT's new Transportation Security Administration. The
> agency plans to consider comments on this interim final rule received in
the
> rulemaking docket through March 1. "The funds raised through this
September