trip report OAK/ONT

Took a trip to visit relatives in Southern California over the Christmas
holiday. Abbreviations at end

25 Dec OAK-ONT WN2821 N657SW B737-3L9 cn23331/1111
Got to the airport about 1000 for a 1355 departure.  Way too early for
Christmas day.  No long lines at security.  Took about 15-20 minutes to
check in at curbside (Long line inside to check in, though).

Went to Terminal 1 to see if I could get a Jet Blue timetable (no luck).
Went through security with no problem.  Grabbed a bite to eat then went out
of security.  Went back into security through Terminal 2.  This time, I
beeped and had to remove my shoes.  It seems that each scanner is
different - similar thing happened at ONT.

Saw an airline I couldn't identify but think it may be Allegro.  It was a
727 with a "A" on the blue tail and a red dash forming the straight part of
the "A".

Smooth flight.  The pilot said we would be cruising at FL290 which seemed
low to me, although if he said FL390 then that would have been too hight for
a 737-300.

Had planned on visiting the old George AFB where many airliners are stored
but changed my mind. Instead, I decided to go to a naturist resort to do
some hot tubbing then visited SBD and CNO.  Not much at SBD: a white,
engineless 727 (N252RL) Anybody know anything about this aircraft?  Here's
what the landings.com database has on it:
N-number                       : N252RL        Aircraft Serial Number     :
21456
Aircraft Manufacturer        : BOEING          Model                 :
727-200
Engine   Manufacturer          : P & W                 Model
: JT8D-17 SER
Aircraft Year                  : 1978                Owner Name
: TRANS PACIFIC LEASING CORP
Owner Address                  : 4790 CAUGHLIN PKWY # 710   RENO, NV,
89509-0907
Registration Date   : 02-Oct-1996   Airworthiness Certificate Type :
Standard     Approved Operations      : Transport

Other than 252RL, the only other aircraft at the ghost town called SBD was a
couple of blimbs (monster.com and don't remember the name on the other one).

CNO was great.  Found the following aircraft:
Beech D18S cnA85 N121SC (All American Airfreight is the registered
owner,although there was no titles on the aircraft)

These 3 aircraft were near the Chino Planes of Fame Air Museum
Fairchild F-27J N274PH with Fresh Air titles (landings.com shows it
regeisterd to Cannon Industries of SLC)
Pacific Southwest DC3 (picture doesn't show the registration)
Convair 240 cn 47 N240HH

Coast Guard VC-3A (Martin 404) N404CG (shown on aircraft as N 404 CG) -
registered to Samuel Thomas Stewart of Tennessee
Beech C-45H N2833G in USAF color scheme with AF serial of 51-11602

The next two aircraft were by a museum at CNO. Unfortunately, I didn't catch
the name of the museum (it wasn't Planes of Fame, though)
C-46 N74173 cn 289 no titles
DC-3 (C-47?) with serial 0-23668 (didn't see a civilian registration
number) - anyone know anything about this aircraft?

The following aircraft were at a mysterious spot on the southeastern corner
of CNO.  It was fenced in and said "no loitering, no photography and no
(something else).
Fairchild SA227-AT N9UA cn AT-495 (registered to Global Aircraft Sales)
C-47B N103NA cn 33569 with Classic Express airlines titles - couldn't find
this in JP.  The aircraft is registered to Newport Signal Air
2 B727's with "Charter America" titles on them. Again, can't find this
airline in the latest JP.  Couldn't make out the registrations on these
aircraft

29 Dec ONT-OAK WN573  N638SW B737-3H4 cn27711/2820
Go to the airport about 0445 to drop off the rental car.  Got to terminal
about 0510 and was checked in (curbside) by 0515.  Entered the secured area
to find a place to eat.  No luck - most everything was either closed or had
a long line/expensive prices.  Left the secured area and reentered a few
minutes later.  This time, I went through a different machine and was
beeped.

ONT airport, compared to what it was like when I was there about 4 or 5
years ago, sucks!  It went from a basically open air terminal to a sterile,
might-as-well-be-inside-a-shopping-mall building.  Even had to use the damn
jetways to board the aircraft.

This was another low altitude flight - FL280.  Choppy all the way until the
last few minutes of the flight due to the front along the California coast.

At both OAK and ONT I kept thinking of George Orwell's 1984.  The
loudspeaker kept repeating over and over "no smoking", "watch your luggage",
etc.  What I thought was funny and stupid was at ONT when the announcement
included the fact that passengers only were allowed in the secured area.
This announcement should have been made in the main lobby!

Noticed a long line for going through security at terminal 2 at OAK when I
returned, although it didn't go out to the parking lot like the news reports
have indicated.

OAK: Oakland, California
ONT: Ontario, California
CNO: Chino, California
SBD: San Bernardino International (formerly Norton AFB), California
SLC: Salt Lake City, Utah
WN: Southwest Airlines
cn: construction number
FL: Flight level (altitude in hundreds of feet)

David Ross
http://damiross.go.cc
http://home.earthlink.net/~damiross/airlines.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~damiross/books.html