Re: LON-HNL flights

My parents were guests on the inaugural trip. Actually, WA only had
the DC-10-10 series, and it couldn't perform over the ANC-LGW
segment. I remember hearing the route could have succeeded if
they had the right aircraft type. They were also competing with
British Airways 747s Anchorage-Heathrow.
Mike
Anchorage, Alaska

> WA flew HNL-LGW direct in 1979-1980. The aircraft stopped at
ANC,
> but the same aircraft (a DC-10-30) was used on both legs of the
> flight.
> WA said ANC was only 29 miles from the direct HNL-LGW great
circle
> route, so this would certainly be much faster than going via LAX.
> Unfortunately, there wasn't much demand for travel from LGW to
> either ANC or HNL, so the route was dropped after only 9
months.