From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU]On Behalf Of
www.joepries.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2001 6:00 AM
To: AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: If you want to down a plane ....

 hi Geoff,
youre 100% right- but- if you put a passenger through a body scanner- one
that shows a 3d view of the person and every single inch of him/her is
visible- you just eliminated this problem- alot of people (women especially)
will have a problem with this but they'll just have to do it- one way is to
have the person monitoring in a booth where the pax doesnt see him/her so
theres less embarassment- but this will work.  then you have the problem of
rogue caterers or others who have access to airplanes that can slip
something in to the airplane so yeah- you cant stop em all but with the
scanner you can do alot- and scan the caterers/cleaners while youre at it
for more complete sterility.  Unfortunately we've come to this stage-
actually we should have come to it long ago.
  talkafrica <talkafrica@zol.co.zw> wrote: Sadly, we have to realise that if
a fanatic really wants to bring down a
plane, there's not a lot that we can do.

With modern explosives, you could hide enought in a small torpedo-shaped
vial to do real damage. And the passenger could insert that vial in a body
cavity (at least one springs to mind) and remove it in flight.

That's not to say it's not important to have tight security -- but let's not
kid ourselves that we'll ever be out of danger.

Geoff in Harare

Joe Pries Commercial Aviation Photography
Serving the airline industry with quality photography
AOL IM AIRLINE72
http://www.joepries.com