Deep Vein Thrombosis Blamed For Long-Haul Death

A 28-year-old woman is reported to have died from deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
while on a long-haul flight from Singapore to London.Alayne Wake was flying
home for Christmas when she collapsed.It was reported that a blood clot
travelled up her leg when she stood up to go to the toilet.Her father Kevin,
speaking from his home in Sunderland, told the Sunday Mirror:"The irony is
that Pat and I bought socks to prevent this sort of thing happening when we
went over there."I only hope that her death can prevent one other family
having to go through this. People shouldn't think DVT happens to old people.
My daughter was only 28. I want young people to take notice. Our whole family
is devastated, especially so soon after losing Pat."He said DVT has been
given as the cause of death on his daughter's death certificate.A doctor,
nurse and paramedic on the flight tried to save Alayne using heart-starting
equipment.The plane was just 120 miles from Heathrow when she collapsed.

Leo/ORD