Re: Lax south runways can they handle a 747?

Absolutely....7R/25L is actually longer than the other parallel on the
southside at 11,096 feet.  (the inner south runway 7L/25R is 12,091 feet).
Your concern is notable however.  It's more based on procedure at airports
with two sets of parallels on each side of the airport.  Normal ops include
allowing aircraft to depart on the inner parallels while landing (usually)
on the outer parallels allowing greater separation on approach.  So for
whatever reason..."they" decided to depart from 25L.  It could also be to
expedite the departure of traffic behing the KAL 747, so they moved it on
over to the other side to make room, amongst a couple more operational
considerations.

Many a UA 747 and 747s off the Bradley Terminal use the inner parallel
runway of the south complex of LAX  7L/25R.  Actually, the north runway
complex has the shortest of the runway complexes at LAX.  6L/24R is 8925
feet.  6R/24L, where many a 747 departs, is 10,285 feet.

So to answer your Q...yep...they can handle 747s.

Walter
DCA