NYTimes.com Article: $21.5 Million to Germany. Round-Trip.

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

They love to gouge and it shows.

psa188@juno.com

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Share the spirit with a gift from Starbucks.
Our coffee brewers & espresso machines at
special holiday prices.
http://www.starbucks.com/shop/subcategory.asp?category_name=Sale/Clearance&ci=274&cookie_test=1

$21.5 Million to Germany. Round-Trip.

December 22, 2001

By LAURENCE ZUCKERMAN

So much for the online discount.

One day last week, Ed Baker, a management consultant in
Atlanta, thought he would take advantage of the fare sales
being offered in the wake of Sept. 11 to book a flight to
Germany next June to visit his parents.

He logged on to the Delta Air Lines (news/quote) Web site
and punched in his request for a flight to Hamburg with a
return three weeks later from Munich. The quoted fare:
$21,469,423.27.

And that was for coach.

Several repeated tries brought up the same fare. "I thought
about buying it on my American Express (news/quote) card
just to see what would happen," Mr. Baker said.

It is true that most large airlines charge higher fares for
passengers who arrive at one city and return from another.
It is also true that the airline industry has lost billions
of dollars since Sept. 11 and desperately needs to increase
fares if it hopes to return to profitability.

Nonetheless, Delta said the $21 million ticket was a glitch
in its system.

"We're still investigating," Catherine Stengel, a Delta
spokeswoman, said.

She added that the computer would not have allowed Mr.
Baker, or anyone else, to buy a ticket at that price. "It
would send up a flag," she said.

The cost of the ticket quoted by Delta's offline
reservation system yesterday, according to Ms. Stengel, was
$1,364.63. The Delta Web site quoted a fare of $1,624.63
yesterday, a discount of $21,467,798.64 from the earlier
online price. A few hours later, the fare rose to
$21,469,373.35, a decline of $49.92 from the first $21
million ticket.

But even the cheapest price is still too steep for Mr.
Baker.

"It will be lower," he said. "I am just going to sit tight
for right now and wait to see if any new sales pop up."

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/22/business/22AIR.html?ex=1010020252&ei=1&en=170a63754459c199

HOW TO ADVERTISE
New York Times on the Web, please contact Alyson
Racer at alyson@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2001 The New York Times Company