Northern airports balk at new security fee

Northern airports balk at new security fee

Thompson, MB - A proposed airport security fee is proving controversial in
northern Manitoba, where most airports have little or no security. "I don't
want to charge someone from Shamattawa $12 when they don't have the benefit
of security," says Nelson Morberg, vice-president of marketing for Calm Air
International. "That's not fair,"  In the recent federal budget, Finance
Minister Paul Martin announced that as of next April, Transport Canada will
charge all passengers a $12 airport security fee on every flight.  Calm Air
hasn't received official direction on how the fee will be implemented, but
Morberg hopes the surcharge will be specific to airports that actually have
security.  Passengers on his airline, which services Winnipeg and 15
northern communities in Manitoba and Nunavut - pass through pre-flight
screening only when leaving Winnipeg.  "I can never see Shamattawa or South
Indian Lake or Pukatawagan getting security," he says.

Thompson Airport Manager Don Taylor is frustrated by the lack of
information he's received from Transport Canada.
"I don't know who will pay, and I can't seem to find out," complained
Taylor.  About 33,000 planes fly in and out of Thompson every year; most of
them walk right through the airport and onto a plane.  Only passengers
flying with WestJet go through security, because its flights connect to
other destinations in Winnipeg.  Morberg and Taylor are both concerned
about adding $24 to a round-trip ticket.  "That's a large sum to add for no
added service," says Morberg.

CBC Manitoba

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)

Caribbean Brass & Soca Connection Club Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeansocabrassconnection/
Steel Expressions Orch
http://www.escape.ca/~ejames/se/
email #1: mailto:steelexpressions@yahoo.com
email #2: mailto:steelexpressions@home.com
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(101 Art Gallery) http://101artgallery.com
(101 Art Gallery)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt