Re: AmericaWest

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dennis W Zeuch" <DZTOPS@aol.com>
To: <AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2001 17:27
Subject: Re: AmericaWest

> In a message dated 12/19/01 11:23:22 PM !!!First Boot!!!,
> stepan-ilych@multipro.com writes:
>
> << Unless you're an HP, NW, or CO elite who may wind up sitting in economy
>  because of this, of course.  I c >>
> Wouldnt they have the same chance?
Depends on when HP processes its upgrades, as I said.  If HP waits until 2
hrs before checkin to clear upgrades (as NW seems to do now), and the
revenue upgrades can be purchased before that, and the program is very
successful, there'll be little incentive for elites to continue flying HP.
They can either switch to NW or CO on shared routes (and where their elite
status will still enable upgrades) or get their status comped with a
competitor.

> Or do they want it for free?
Depends on your definition of 'free'.  If you consider flying 30, 60, or 90
segments annually with one carrier - possibly paying higher fares, flying at
less-convenient times, and/or taking connecting flights over nonstops -
because of the airline's frequent flyer benefits to be nothing, then yes.  I
disagree.

> If they are really such important 'big shots' they should just buy the
tickets
Elite-level flyers flying on business are very often subject to budget
constraints and can't pay the extra $100 to $300 r/t on top of the $1500.00
ticket they've just purchased.  And then there are the elites who pay for
their own tickets by booking far in advance, whether small-business owners
or people who fly for personal reasons, and simply can't justify the extra
costs.  Why should these people have any loyalty to HP once their prime
benefits are gone?

Steven