Re: Canadian Airline Industry

Someone sent out to the list of the result of the WestJet move into
Thompson, Manitoba. Fares went from $900 (likely return) odd to $150
(probably each way) but significant none the less.

As I mentioned on the list before, the Canadian public are some what
soft as to the connection between increased competition and lower fares.

But deep down, most folks don't want a return to a heavily regulated
market, though many won't remember it for as bad as it was.

Canadian Pacific was permitted by law in one period of the 60's, to only
fly one AC between Vancouver and Toronto a day. Of course they bought
the biggest plane they could get for the job. A complete and utter
distortion of the market as the result.

Most people DO remember the feisty Wardair. Canadian law permitted
charter airlines, of which Wardair was one, to fly 'groups' as they
wanted. Wardair would sell tickets in a over-the-counter manner (like
Air Canada) and then would form "gonna fly to Manchester on Tuesday
group" initiation sessions at the airport, thereby circumventing and
making fun of the ridiculous laws in place.

Even Canadian Pacific, Pacific Western and many other airlines stretched
the limit of the ridiculous laws.

Whether deliberate or not, AC's CEO Milton is playing this memory card.
It should be interesting how it all works out.

Matthew