Re: config.status[12]: export: SHELL##: is not an identifier

On 8/4/24 16:39, Paul Eggert wrote:

... and the "export SHELL" line ends at byte offset 4096, then I'd guess it's a buffering bug in the shell. If the shell is actually ksh93 I wouldn't be surprised.

I am going to assume that you are correct about the the byte offset.  I had vague recollection of this being mentioned before on the mailing list, but did not encounter it until now.

The very benign seeming changeset at https://foss.heptapod.net/graphicsmagick/graphicsmagick/-/commit/7ff15be04d174ccdeea0004ffa4a45dd4a9e81aa (see only configure.ac) triggered it.

Running the configure script directly using bash or exporting 'CONFIG_SHELL=/usr/bin/bash' allows configure to succeed.

I will take this as the opportunity to simply remove the archaic feature (Display Postscript) I re-enabled with the changeset since I have not encountered a system with it for a great many years.

That also would explain why an older GraphicsMagick doesn't see the problem: the line in question happens to not appear exactly at a buffer boundary.
Bad luck!
Of course I'm just guessing.

Good guess. Thank you for your help.

Hopefully a future stable Autoconf will detect the broken shell and set CONFIG_SHELL=/usr/bin/bash in order to succeed.

Bob

--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/