Re: AC_FUNC_MMAP test fails on AIX for MAP_FIXED: who's at fault?

Hi Zack,

> On 29. Jul 2024, at 15:36, Zack Weinberg <zack@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> We should probably also document the AIX issues in the "writing portable
> C programs" section of the manual if we don't already.

Yes, that would be nice. Something along the lines of…?

“N.B. AC_FUNC_MMAP is known to fail on IBM AIX at least up to version 7.3. This is due to non-compliant implementation of MAP_FIXED. If your use case doesn’t require MAP_FIXED, you might wish to use AC_CHECK_HEADERS_ONCE([sys/mman.h]) and AC_CHECK_FUNCS_ONCE([mmap]) instead for a more basic check.”

> Can any of you think of other subsets of mmap functionality that are
> worth supplying a test for in autoconf?  Do any of you have time to
> work on patches for any or all of this?

Well, now that I understand more about the issue, I think that a better idea would be to just remove all of the mmap stuff from Midnight Commander instead ;-) It’s not really needed these days anyways… So don’t count on me for that, but I really do appreciate the discussion, this was very helpful!

All the best,
Yury