Re: RFC: Add public macros AC_LOG_CMD and AC_LOG_FILE.

On 2024-06-23 22:23, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> I'm thinking of making AC_RUN_LOG, which has existed forever but is
> undocumented, an official documented macro ...

Yes, please!

I will note that Autoconf has a lot of "run and log a command" internal
macros with various comments of the form "doesn't work well" suggesting
that this is a hard feature to get right.

I think at the same time it would be worth documenting the AS_LINENO
functionality, which is the main internal functionality of these
macros that (unless you just goes ahead and use it) Autoconf users
can't really replicate in their own logging.

> +@anchor{AC_LOG_FILE}
> +@defmac AC_LOG_FILE (@var{file}, @var{label})
> +Record the contents of @var{file} in @file{config.log}, labeled with
> +@var{label}.
> +@end defmac

If you implement this, please explain in the manual what "labeled with
/label/" really means, otherwise I'm left wondering why this macro
exists when we can almost as easily write something like:

  { echo label; cat file; } >&AS_MESSAGE_LOG_FD

Including example logfile output together with the example program
might be sufficient.

Cheers,
  Nick