Re: Will autoconf work with -Werror=implicit-int and -Werror=implicit-function-declaration ?

* Michael Orlitzky:

> On Mon, 2023-12-11 at 10:55 -0500, David A. Wheeler wrote:
>> All:
>>
>> Will the latest version of autoconf work by default when the compiler has these options enabled?:
>> -Werror=implicit-int
>> -Werror=implicit-function-declaration
>>

> I think the two fixes we're waiting for in the next release are,
>
>   * https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/autoconf.git/commit/?id=8b5e2016
>   * https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/autoconf.git/commit/?id=bf5a7595
>
> And then all we need... is for every project on earth to autoreconf.
> The real problem though is the thousands of existing configure.ac files
> with their own buggy compile/link tests that will silently fail.
>
> Here's a short TODO list: https://bugs.gentoo.org/870412

Just to reiterate, these autoconf commits are not related to David's
initial question or the warnings listed in the summary of the Gentoo bug
(which currently are implicit-function-declaration, implicit-int,
int-conversion, incompatible-pointer-types).  I'm not aware of any
generic issues in current-ish autoconf.  Some macros needed fixing, but
not the basic ones modified by those two commits.  Even autoconf 2.69 is
mostly fine—you have to go back much farther to find versions with
generic issues.

Some concern has been expressed that the AC_FUNC_MMAP test fails
incorrectly if getpagesize is detected, but does not have a prototype in
<unistd.h>.  One way this can happen is if a project does not use
AC_USE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS, but says (with glibc) _XOPEN_SOURCE directly,
but not _DEFAULT_SOURCE.  Reportedly, it also happens on Darwin.  I
think the autoconf position is that these projects should use
AC_USE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS instead, so no attempt has been made to fix it.

Thanks,
Florian