Re: Will autoconf work with -Werror=implicit-int and -Werror=implicit-function-declaration ?

On Mon, Dec 11, 2023, at 11:24 AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> On Mon, 2023-12-11 at 10:55 -0500, David A. Wheeler wrote:
>> Will the latest version of autoconf work by default when the compiler
>> has these options enabled?:
>>    -Werror=implicit-int
>>    -Werror=implicit-function-declaration
>
> I think the two fixes we're waiting for in the next release are,
>
>   * https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/autoconf.git/commit/?id=8b5e2016
>   * https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/autoconf.git/commit/?id=bf5a7595

For clarity, both of these commits were already included in the 2.72d beta release:
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autotools-announce/2023-11/msg00000.html>.
If you are able, please test 2.72d with a compiler that has -Werror=implicit-int
and/or -Werror=implicit-function-declaration enabled by default, and report
your findings here as soon as possible.

I will consider any failure in autoconf's own testsuite, caused by
-Werror=implicit-int and/or -Werror=implicit-function-declaration,
to be a release blocker, unless it proves to be the fault of the system's
C library (e.g. some header file is _supposed_ to provide a prototype for
some function but it doesn't).  Regressions from the above two commits
will also be considered blockers, except if they boil down to "configure
scripts can't be used with a K&R compiler anymore", which is unavoidable.

> And then all we need... is for every project on earth to autoreconf.
> The real problem though is the thousands of existing configure.ac
> files with their own buggy compile/link tests that will silently fail.
>
> Here's a short TODO list: https://bugs.gentoo.org/870412

If there's anything we can do from our end to make that list easier to
grind through, please let us know.

zw