Re: How to get autoconf to respect CC="gcc -std=c89"?

On Fri, 6 Oct 2023, Zack Weinberg wrote:

This is currently not possible, but you are not the only person who has
asked for it to be made possible, and it's on our near-future list.
However, none of the core Autoconf developers currently have time to work
on it.  Might you be willing to put some time into it?  I think something
like this in configure.ac

AC_C_STANDARD_VERSION([c89])
AC_PROG_CC

I have also wanted (and tried to) test code for c89 and c99 compliance (to test for an element of portabilty) , but was similarly foiled.

The suggested approach does not allow the user to optionally compile the code for a particular C version without editing configure.ac. The developer may prefer to use the Autoconf default.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/