Re: remaining tasks before Autoconf release

On 5/6/23 06:09, Bruno Haible wrote:

3) The hint

    Did you mean to build a 64-bit binary? (E.g.,
    'CC="gcc -m64"'.)

should not occur on a 32-bit OS. It should only occur on bi-arch systems
(64-bit OS, 32-bit $CC).

If we could come up with a reliable way to distinguish between the two, I suppose we could use the abovementioned message on bi-arch platforms and some other message (e.g., "Wouldn't it be better to build for a platform that won't stop working in 2038?") on 32-bit time_t only platforms. If not, the diagnostic is likely good enough as-is. Anybody who's building for these obsolescent platforms should know they're obsolescent and not bi-arch and can simply ignore the question.

-       Did you mean to build a 64-bit binary? (E.g., 'CC="${CC} -m64"'.)

Doesn't removing this line suppress the suggestion even for bi-arch systems where the suggestion is useful? That seems like a step backwards.