Re: Anyone remember what AC_PROG_GCC_TRADITIONAL was testing for?

Hello, Zack,

I don't know the answer, but I have a hunch that may hopefully ring a
bell for someone who went through those pains: the included headers
relied heavily on ioctl macros, that, on early Unices, often abused
pre-std preprocessor macro quirks about quoting, in ways that would only
have the intended effect with -traditional preprocessing.  We have
(had?) fixinclude code for such pre-std ioctls in GCC.

I hope this helps,

--
Alexandre Oliva, happy hacker                https://FSFLA.org/blogs/lxo/
   Free Software Activist                       GNU Toolchain Engineer