Re: On time64 and Large File Support

On 3/2/23 19:30, Wookey wrote:
Gnulib automatically changing the ABI for packages that use it is
deeply unhelpful and is going to cause significant breakage and
hassle.

This change to Gnulib was reverted in December[1] and that propagated into bleeding-edge GnuTLS last month[2]. So if I understand things correctly the next GnuTLS release will go back to the old way of doing things, which will tempt the 32-bit time_t rearguard to fall back into "Let's not worry about 2038" mode.

However this is just one package. We'll likely see similar issues with other packages, independently of whether they use Gnulib, and independently of whether the built packages are not supposed to be used after the year 2038.

So this incident is a warning siren for the 32-bit time_t community. It's no time to relax.

[1]: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/commit/?id=7c7c8a519f3892f6f5b30a1c6b22796ab314a45c [2]: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/commit/9622d7201e1d73d217c18802e1d435ba3404adb3