Disabling the default linker behaviour of libtool (linking all dependent libraries)

Due to some specific needs (relaxing inter-package dependencies) I need to override link_all_deplibs to  'no' in my libtool script. However my attempts to use _LT_AC_TAGVAR failed. Of course I can hack the libtool script after I run configure, but... It would be nice if I could do it in the way intended by autotools authors. Here is a sample configure.ac I used to test the feature:
AC_PREREQ(2.61)
AC_INIT([TEST_PROJ],[3.6],[a.a.godin@xxxxxxxxx])
dnl end versions

dnl project general settings
AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR([.])
AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])

AC_CANONICAL_TARGET
AC_CANONICAL_HOST
AC_CANONICAL_BUILD

AC_PROG_CC_C99
AC_PROG_CXX

AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(TEST_PROJ, 3.6, foreign)
AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
_LT_AC_TAGVAR(link_all_deplibs,CXX)=no
_LT_AC_TAGVAR(link_all_deplibs,)=no
LT_INIT