Re: On time64 and Large File Support

On 2022-11-12 12:23, Wookey wrote:
we can't just have everyone who enabled LFS sometime in the
last 20 years suddenly being forced into the time_t change (can we?)

We've done it in the past.

AC_SYS_LARGEFILE originally was in Gnulib, before it migrated to Autoconf. Originally it affected only off_t; its effect on other types like ino_t came later. Hence people who initially used AC_SYS_LARGEFILE were later "suddenly forced" into an ino_t width change. Similarly for other non-off_t types that AC_SYS_LARGEFILE affects.

So there's longstanding precedent for AC_SYS_LARGEFILE changing the width of system types that were formerly unaffected. The difference is that time_t is more widely used than ino_t etc., and people are understandably more concerned about time_t changes.

Because of the concerns raised in this thread it's become clear that what's in Autoconf now is too drastic, and I've proposed (though not yet implemented) a change that will cause AC_SYS_LARGEFILE to continue to not affect time_t unless there's an affirmative request like "./configure --enable-year2038". I am waiting for feedback on that from Zack and others, and am hoping for quick turnaround on this because we do need a new Autoconf release.