Re: On time64 and Large File Support

On 2022-11-11 03:22, Florian Weimer wrote:

Fortunately, any issues should be quite visibile in
the distribution DWARF data.  If we put the time32 switch in place, we
should be able to tell whether it's effective enough in practice.

OK, thanks; if problems turn up in that area please let the Autoconf/Gnulib people know what we can do to help address them.

LFS issues have been with us for a long time, and packages and
distributions have workarounds for it (e.g., using off64_t or long long
in public headers).  What we have today mostly works.  But it's unknown
whether existing AC_SYS_LARGEFILE users require any additional work for
time64 changes.

If what we have today mostly works, then it works for blkcnt_t, dev_t, ino_t, off_t and rlim_t, all of whose widths differ on 32-bit x86 glibc depending on whether one compiles with -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64. So there's some precedent for hoping that what we have today will mostly work for time_t and -D_TIME_BITS=64 as well.

In hindsight, perhaps it would have been better to have _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 also control time_t width, since that would have made for one less configure-time option to worry about. (After all rlim_t can hold 64-bit counts of seconds, so why not time_t?) I suppose it's too late for that now, though.