Re: Parallelization of shell scripts for 'configure' etc.

On 6/13/22 18:25, Dale R. Worley wrote:
It seems to me that bash provides the needed tools -- "( ... ) &" lets
you run things in parallel.  Similarly, if you've got a lot of small
tasks with a complex web of dependencies, you can encode that in a
"makefile".

It seems to me that the heavy work is rebuilding how "configure" scripts
are constructed based on which items can be run in parallel.

Yes, all that could be done in theory, but it'd take a lot of hacking and it's been decades and it hasn't happened.

I'd rather have shell scripts "just work" in parallel with a minimum of fuss.