Re: Extensions to M4sh

On 5/4/22 05:07, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
The trade-off you get for writing m4 is that the build system produced
by autotools doesn't require you to have autotools installed, and
instead uses only a portable subset of standard system tools.

I think this is a very minor benefit:
(1) To build a project from source you need to have verious development tools installed.
The difference between "requisites are make, gcc, yacc, and xxx" vs
"requisites are make, CMake, gcc, yacc, and xxx" seems pretty minor.

(2) These days, how often do people build from a source "release"?
I'm more likely to build from a git clone.  And I believe best practice
is to not include autotools-generated scripts in the repository,
but instead add 'autoreconfig -i' as an initial first step.
--
	--Per Bothner