Re: Wrong order of preprocessor and compiler flags

On Thu, 24 Mar 2022, Evgeny Grin wrote:

It's not uncommon to use CFLAGS for macros or for '-I' flags.
I think it's easy to imagine other conflicting situation where the order of used flags is significant.

It may not be uncommon, but it is a usage bug to use CFLAGS for pre-processor options. Such usages should be corrected.

Becides cases where the pre-processor may be used directly (not sure if there are any), it should be considered that CPPFLAGS works for both the C and C++ compilers but CFLAGS is only for the C compiler.

Usage of CPPFLAGS before CFLAGS looks logical for me, I think autoconf should be fixed.

It does feel more logical.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn