Re: portability of xargs

If the goal is to limit command line length while maintaining or increasing
the number of files passed to various compilation tools, it may be worth
writing object lists to files to be passed as command scripts - in cases
where the tool supports it. Obviously whether the majority of tools support
command files is going to be the deciding factor.

Libtool is pretty equipped to deal with this category of tool portability;
but allowing `automake' to make this assumption is something to approach
more cautiously.