Re: support for build-time programs

On 24 Jan 2022 08:47, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2022, at 3:06 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > can we merge the various xxx_FOR_BUILD autoconf-archives into autoconf ?
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf-archive/ax_prog_cc_for_build.html
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf-archive/ax_prog_cxx_for_build.html
> >
> > would be nice to have official names for these in autoconf itself as we
> > could then leverage those in automake.
>
> I support this but I don't have time to work on it myself.  Merging these
> macros into autoconf would open up a number of possibilities for making them
> work _better_ and having other macros work better in cross compilation.

thanks, first question was whether we could move forward at all, or whether
we'd get hung up on bikeshedding a perfect design first.  i can take care of
migrating those macros ... author is Paolo Bonzini <bonzini@xxxxxxx>, so i
assume license/copyright shouldn't be an issue, but let's loop him in just
in case.
-mike