Re: Force 32 bit build

Thanks,

first:
The "too late" was just an assumption because the "ac_XXX" definition use the CFLAGS before the CFLAGS is set by me, I understand that my try to force 32 bit is not quite common but if the source-code is ONLY written and tested for 32bit it would be quite "unfriendly" to let the user build 64bit code which is probably broken.

second:
I think the hint about -m32 and -mx32 is good because -mx32 is probably the thing I really want. A "autoconf" option is a good approach to let the used decide between -m32 and
-mx32

third:
The alternative would be to write a "wrapper-script" for "configure" to force the thing
I want, I think this would be the most-worse thing.

what I really missing is the proper (--host or --target) option which set the 32bit code correct and portable. Any --host option seems to search for compiler with "host" prefix -> this does not work together with gnu "gcc" because the option approach uses the same
compiler front-end as 64bit.

If I use my second approach the configure output start with:

configure: loading site script /usr/share/site/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking build system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

> there is NOTHING about 32 bit, even the -m32/-mx32 flag is not recognized
> in the "host/target system type message.

I feel uncomfortable about the "32bit" support in autoconf.

mfg