libtool wrapper

This may be a automake or libtool question more than autoconf, but I've gotten good help from people here.

I'm helping the OpenDMARC project. We install a binary (opendmarc) and a library (libopendmarc).

Given the standard nature of autoconf/automake/libtool, Before we install, we have a wrapper script sitting in $srcdir/opendmarc/opendmarc, that wraps libtool around a compiled library in $srcdir/.libs

Here's the problem with that -- the way the program is linked, it links against the *system* version of libopendmarc (in /usr/local/lib), not the one we're about to install (which is in ../../libopendmarc/.libs)

So being able to run that binary for testing, just as it would be if installed, is hard.

For the purposes of running continuous integration testing, we need the library to do things like listen on a socket and receive mail directed at it.

Is there a way to make libtool and the like smarter about this. I.e. "check if this library exists, but also know that *we will be building this library*, and for testing purposes, point at our version".

Is there an easy macro-ish way around this, or am I stuck creating some sort of fake chroot to test this.

Best,

-Dan