Re: config.sub/config.guess using nonportable $(...) substitutions

On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 2:50 PM Michael Orlitzky <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> the $(...) syntax was standardized no later than 1997

It was first formally standardized as part of the POSIX shell in 1989,
which standardized what used to be called ksh88
<https://web.archive.org/web/20151105130220/http://www2.research.att.com/sw/download/man/man1/ksh88.html>
.

Since all versions of Solaris postdate this, Sun really should have made
/bin/sh a POSIX shell from the start, but for whatever reason, did not, and
now that decision's causing us problems.

I doubt the feature was added to ksh in 1988, since Kornshell has roots
going back to 1982, even though it wasn't formally made part of Unix® until
SVR4 in 1988.

If you're seeing all this 1988 and 1989 stuff and wondering if there's a
coincidence, no, there isn't. POSIX was originally a formalization of SVR4
Unix, meant to heal the rift with BSD. How well that worked is a matter of
history. The point is, what we now call the standard Unix shell dates to
this time. In an ideal world, we'd have been able to depend on $() flavor
command substitution since 1989-1992, depending on where you date
the beginning of POSIX-certified Unixes.