Re: Parallel configure

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 5:44 PM Gavin Smith <gavinsmith0123@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This has an implication for how existing configure.ac files can be
> parallelised.  If it's the first idea, then you are going to put a
> macro somewhere in a configure.ac script that does the parallel bit.
> Otherwise, you are calling configure from somewhere within the Makefile.
> Either way results of checks have to be shared in one direction or
> another.
>
> The latter idea might be good as it would allow the configuration
> dependency graph to merge into the larger blob of the build system
> in general.

If it helps, years ago I made changes to automake to produce Makefile
from Makefile.am, rather than Makefile.in which has to be processed by
the configure script. This avoids the impossible situation of Makefile
calling configure if configure produces Makefile itself. Perhaps some
of the ideas/code from this could be used.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2013-04/msg00034.html
https://github.com/GavinSmith0123/automake-amplain/tree/amplain