Re: Autoconf/Automake is not using version from AC_INIT

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021, Zack Weinberg wrote:

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 7:27 PM Bob Friesenhahn
<bfriesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

AC_SUBST([CONFIGURE_DEPENDENCIES],["$CONFIGURE_DEPENDENCIES \$(top_srcdir)/ChangeLog \$(top_srcdir)/version.sh"])

Why did you write it like this instead of

CONFIGURE_DEPENDENCIES = $(top_srcdir)/ChangeLog $(top_srcdir)/version.sh

It appears that I followed the Automake documentation which still says to use the approach I used:

https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Rebuilding.html

Notice this documentation appears to be patterned on what GraphicsMagick has been doing (or vice-versa) and the documentation now suggests providing version info via a 'version.m4' file. It is not clear how this can help unless the version.m4 itself is modified. If the version.m4 invoked an external script then it seems it would not help.

(Also, I thought having configure not be updated when the information
provided to AC_INIT has not changed was what you wanted to happen!)

It is good if each each 'make' cycle reaches a terminal conclusion and assures that all targets are successfully concluded. Even if the content of a target is not changed, its timestamp should be updated so that make is happy.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/