Confusing behavior with autoreconf and gettext in the openzfs project

On autoconf 2.69, this project: https://github.com/openzfs/zfs

logs the message:

autoreconf: configure.ac: AM_GNU_GETTEXT is used, but not AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION

But succeeds.

With the update to autoconf 2.70, it instead logs:

configure.ac: error: AM_GNU_GETTEXT is used, but not AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION or AM_GNU_GETTEXT_REQUIRE_VERSION

And, as stated, errors out.

Now, configure.ac does not in fact use AM_GNU_GETTEXT, but the overly ornate configure.ac does include...

$ cat config/user-gettext.m4
dnl #
dnl # Check if libintl and possibly libiconv are needed for gettext() functionality
dnl #
AC_DEFUN([ZFS_AC_CONFIG_USER_GETTEXT], [
    AM_GNU_GETTEXT([external])
])

And, ZFS_AC_CONFIG_USER_GETTEXT is then invoked in configure.ac

So apparently, autoreconf notices this by resolving macros. But, if I try adding AM_GNU_GETTEXT_REQUIRE_VERSION inside the user-gettext.m4 macro, autoreconf continues to insist it is not there and errors out.

I cannot move just AM_GNU_GETTEXT_REQUIRE_VERSION to configure.ac, since then it tells me:

autopoint: *** AM_GNU_GETTEXT without 'external' argument is no longer supported in version 0.21

Apparently I need to have *both* in the configure.ac file itself. I don't know why one would not do so -- I don't know why openzfs *wants* to do so -- but the fact remains that this project does do so, and the error message is very confusing.

So, here is my question. Is this an autoreconf bug? Is this a case where the project is wrong for doing it in *.m4 and must change? And why did this only fail once autoconf 2.70 came along?

I'd like to better understand this so I can, most likely, argue the case upstream to move the macros into configure.ac

--
Eli Schwartz
Arch Linux Bug Wrangler and Trusted User