Re: determine base type of a typedef

Nick,

Thanks for your suggestions! They gave me some additional keywords to search for
more ideas.

After trying your code I found that I could actually use _Generic directly in
the C sources, no need for autoconf, e.g.:

time_t _unused_t;
#define TIME_T_FMT _Generic((_unused_t), long long int: "%lld", long int: "%ld", int: "%d")

Or even a generic int type format specifier handler:

#define _FTM(x) _Generic((x), long long int: "%lld", long int: "%ld", int: "%d", \
unsigned long long int: "%llu", unsigned long int: "%lu", unsigned int: "%u")

And for the case when we can't rely on C11, I just found there's
__builtin_types_compatible_p available since at least gcc 3.1.1 (2002) and cland 1.0:

#define TIME_T_FMT (__builtin_types_compatible_p(time_t, long long int) ? "%lld" : \
                    __builtin_types_compatible_p(time_t, long int) ? "%ld" : "%d")