Re: Licensing of Autoconf

On 10/12/20 7:32 PM, Jack Pearson wrote:
Hello all! Thanks for all the great work you do.

I was browsing the GNU Autoconf repo and became rather confused about what the license is for GNU Autoconf.

File copyright headers say that the project is licensed under GPLv3+.

That is correct, as documented in the NEWS for autoconf 2.65 (2009).

However, the project website (http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/autoconf) says that it's licensed under GPLv2+.

Thanks for spotting that; I flipped the switch and it is now correctly listing GPLv3+.

I'm inclined to believe the copyright headers, but the main COPYING file is GPLv2. Is this significant?

Autoconf installs both COPYING and COPYINGv3 for ease of use by other projects; but Autoconf itself is under COPYINGv3 (see Readme).

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226