Re: feedback on 2.69b

On Fri, 24 Jul 2020, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

It looks like it's not easy to disable these tests even with low-level hackery. It would be better if there were still a way to set the preferred level of C and C++ in an official way.

Wow!  I am glad that you got here first.

Particularly as applies to C++, it is useful to be able to set an upper bar (and lower bar) for the C++ version requested because C++11 is in many ways not similar to older C++. I am already aware that some of my own software will not compile with C++11 because of removed deprecated features which I have not attended to yet in the code. Furthermore, the ABI often changes between C++ versions and it is useful to be able to specify the C++ version for purposes of the ABI.

It is true that the person running the configure script can usually supply additional options which request a particular standards version, and it would be important that Autoconf respect such requests if they were supplied.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/