Re: Mangled argument vector choking on spaces?

Fotis Georgatos <fotis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> As regards $subject, this so-called STRING_ENCODING_CHARMAP may be relevant:
https://github.com/hpcugent/easybuild-framework/blob/master/easybuild/tools/filetools.py#L59
Look around line L1000 for the rational of that design and some pointers.

> Basically, ` ` becomes `_space_` and so on, for many more potentially tricky characters.
The aim was to have freedom in relation to packages/filenames. It seems to work OK! (*)

That is an interesting idea. I do worry that it too easily collides with normal names. Perhaps a double underscore before and after the key word would counter that problem.

You still need to generate the correct values in makefiles and elsewhere. But clearly the first step is to have an unambiguous representation.
--- David A.Wheeler