Re: Possible bug: AC_USE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS ignores "AS_IF" conditionals

On 09/22/2014 09:07 AM, David A. Wheeler wrote:
I want to write code that will*use*  extensions where available, but will portably run on
systems that don't have the extensions.

That sounds like a reasonable thing to do, but unfortunately autoconf doesn't support it directly. The best workaround I can come up with off the top of my head, is to copy the definition of AC_USE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS from the Autoconf source, rename the copy to dw_USE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS, and define the copy with AC_DEFUN rather than AC_DEFUN_ONCE. It might be helpful to extend Autoconf to provide a non-ONCE version of AC_USE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS, so that this kind of hackery wasn't needed.