Re: [GNU Autoconf 2.69] OSX autotools: `aclocal.m4' not being output by `autom4te'

N.B. despite FAT's age, and subsequent flaws, it is still the de facto standard for portable drives.

This is because FAT is the only file system fully supported by all modern operating systems.

I run a multi-OS development environment, with a spread of tools across OSX and Windows. I wanted to migrate away from using FAT on my shared data partition, but found no other viable options. The process of testing alternative file systems was extensive, and meticulous. I spent weeks trying out NTFS and HFS partitions, with different combinations of drivers in both operating systems.

Ultimately, it is partisan nonsense that the only file system that can be agreed on is FAT, but that is the reality.

Jeff.