test project example -help with builddir configuration

Ok to anyone who is an expert on autoconf / automake, perhaps you can solve this.

I was having problems integrating doxygen into a complex autoconf/automake project so I redid it with a very simple example, the helloworld c++ example attached:

Here is my problem:

if you configure inside src directory it works and make doxygen-run (for latex / html) produces a doxygen output.

But when i switch to a fresh build directory and then try to configure outside the sourcedir it fails with :
[dave@localhost build-hello]$ make doxygen-run
make: *** No rule to make target `../helloworld_cc-0.5/doxygen.cfg', needed by `doxygen-doc/helloworld_cc.tag'. Stop.

how do I configure it better so it will work in a build dir as well?

Thank you ,

Dave