Configure for non-gcc compiler

Hi,

been trying my way in autotools land for a short while now, and I must say, it works like a charm. But there is one thing I've been breaking my head on for a while now. Many of my projects use GCC, some use a totally different compiler and worse, some are mixed. How do I go about that with autoconf? Is there an easy way to 'add' a compiler to check for? Or a hard way? If somebody could give me some handles to work with, I would be very thankful. My searches on the internet have turned up squat, bit might be I didn't use the magic combo of keywords.

Arie