LC_ALL and UTF-8 directory names

Hi!

I just spent an unfair amount of time on a problem due to configure setting LC_ALL to C.  The failure was the JVM being unable to load a class file right in front of it (in .) under configure, but by hand it worked fine.

It turns out that the person who had the problem used French characters in his directory names (and I guess this is frequent: he was working in the "Téléchargements" (Download) directory that his browser created).  The JVM is quite happy with that.  Unless you make the name "invalid" by setting LC_ALL to C for instance, which Autoconf does.

This ends with:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Foo
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Foo
 Could not find the main class: Foo.  Program will exit.

Maybe configure should warn if `pwd` contains non ASCII characters?

Cheers!