Re[9]: The problem with pgk-config

On 08/01/10 12:05, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
The one fly in the ointment is that a significant selection of libtool users seem to find life more convenient when they delete all installed .la files, which would make folding in pkg-config like functionality impossible.  I confess that I haven't really tried to understand why that is, since I always leave the .la files in place, and they have never given me any problems personally.

I guess people do not know what the .la files for. If everything works w/o .la files, why keep them ?

Assume you are just a system administrator, which builds a fresh version of software package. You are asking - what all these damned .la's are doing here ? Google does not give you an easy answer, so you are deciding to experiment - let's delete .la files. Does dependent software run ? Yes. May dependent software be built from the sources ? Yes. So you are deciding to drop .la files forever.

For .la files to be typically kept, the non-intentional, occasional users of libtool, like sysadmins, should be told, what the .la files are used for, at which moment and in which situations.

Best regards,
--
Konstantin Andreev, software engineer.
Swemel JSC