Best practices for autotools

Dear List,

since some weeks I'm working with autotools and I am wondering if some
experienced users/developers wrote about best practices with this
tools. Some guideline through the whole process up to packing could
help me understanding in which problems I could run in before I do it.

I hope it is okay that I post this general autotools questions to the
autoconf-list.

Until now I found
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/articles/autotools-practices.xml but
maybe some papers, articles or other websites are not indexed well in
the search engines.

Links or references are very welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Best,