Re: [autoconf] Re: pkg-config wisdom

> The most popular scenario I think is: the pkg-config
> itself is bundled to the system (/usr/bin/pkg-config etc)
> but the users install their own libraries to non-system
> directory (e.g. /usr/local/xxx), and the users slipped
> to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH manually.

Definitely very useful, especially in environments where modules [1]
are used.  A custom module load can simply prepend the custom install
location to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH.  Then the custom install's .pc file
will be found first and override any system-wide version.  Amazingly
handy on HPC systems where the compiler+MPI stack+solver version in
use can make or break you.

- Rhys

[1] http://modules.sourceforge.net/