autotest

I have written an autotest test that compiles and runs successfully.  I have even managed to get the make distcheck to run successfully as well.  I do however, have a few questions.
Is there a way to make your testsuite automatically find the executable you are trying to run without putting the path directly in .at?  Also is
there a way to make autotest find the program you just built without doing a make install before a make check? Or
do you have to do a make install before the make check no matter what? And my last question is, what is the difference
between AC_CHECK and AT_TESTED when it comes to environment variables?  It appears that AT_TESTED does not accept environment variables or I might be making a false assumption. Can anyone
explain how these to variables operate and how they work with environment variables?