Re: how to specify flags without having them in the command line call to ./configure?

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008, aaragon wrote:

Of course the line above won't do anything, but you get what I mean. Now
imagine that instead of 2 libraries, I have 10!!! It's really annoying to
have a very big command line with all those arguments. I've been hard-coding
these in the Makefile.am but I don't think that's the best approach. Can
anyone point me to the way it's done? Thank you all,

If this is for use on your own machine, then you should set up a config.site file. By default, the file resides at $prefix/share/config.site.

I have attached a config.site that I use for my own purposes. Perhaps it will give you some ideas.

Bob
======================================
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/
# config.site for configure
#

echo 'Applying settings for 32-bit build ...'

# Change some defaults.

test "$prefix" = NONE && prefix=/usr/local

# Export the environment COMPILER with value 'sun' to use the Sun Studio
# compiler.  Otherwise GCC will be used
if test "x${COMPILER}" = "xsun"
then
  # Use Sun compiler
  echo "Using Sun Studio compiler ..."
  PATH=/opt/SUNWspro/bin:$PATH
  export PATH

  CC_DEFAULT="/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc"
  CXX_DEFAULT="/opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC"
  F77_DEFAULT="/opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77"
  FC_DEFALT="/opt/SUNWspro/bin/f95"

  # -v                 enables detailed warnings
  # -xcheck=all        performs stack checking
  # -g                 enables debug symbols
  # -xtarget=native    target for only *this* system
  #  -xarch=v8plusb    require UltraSPARC III
  #  -xcache=native    optimize for cache properties of *this* system
  #  -xchip=ultra3i    optimize for ultra3i chip
  # -xO3               normal level of optimization.
  CFLAGS_DEFAULT='-v -xO3' # +w2
  CXXFLAGS_DEFAULT='-v -xO3'
  LDFLAGS_DEFAULT="-L/usr/local/lib"
  LIBS_DEFAULT=
  CPPFLAGS_DEFAULT="-I/usr/local/include"
else
  # Use GCC.
  # Export the environment variable GCC_VERSION to select the desired compiler version.
  GCC_VERS=${GCC_VERSION:=4.2.1}
  echo "Using GCC ${GCC_VERS} ..."

  CC_DEFAULT="gcc-${GCC_VERS}"
  CXX_DEFAULT="c++-${GCC_VERS}"
  F77_DEFAULT=no
  FC_DEFAULT=no

  CFLAGS_DEFAULT=-O2
  CXXFLAGS_DEFAULT=-O
  LDFLAGS_DEFAULT="-L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib"
  #LDFLAGS_DEFAULT="-L${libdir} -R${libdir}"
  LIBS_DEFAULT=
fi

if test "${ac_env_CC_set}" != set
then