probing for compiler attributes?

Is there a pre-canned AC macro or other reliable means of testing for
compiler attributes?

I have an awful lot of code that looks something like this:

	void *myfunc(char *myvar
	#ifdef __GNUC__
	) __attribute__((malloc));
	# else // ifdef __GNUC__
	);
	#endif // ifdef __GNUC__

and it has to the potential to get a lot worse if I have to start testing
for what version of GNUC we have to use a new attribute.  While I
realize this could all be done with CPP macros it occurred to me it would
be nice to have this information available from config.h.

-J